Are you a foodie? If so, you’ll probably love this tasty dessert! Nothing is sweeter than a well-baked chocolate cake. Now, imagine your favorite cake infused with the buzzing and potent power of marijuana. I bet you are drooling right now.
How to Make a Weed Cake
In Amsterdam, you can find coffee shops that serve coffee with marijuana weed cakes called “space cakes.” A space cake is a type of dessert that is laced with marijuana to get you high.
These cakes are tasty to enjoy, and you may now be wondering how to make a weed cake. The good news is: the process of marrying marijuana with cake is simple. We’ll explain the process below.
Save Money - No Tent Needed
Organic Cannabis Soil Recipe
Avoid Common Mistakes
The Decarboxylation Process
The first step of how to make a weed cake is preparing the weed. You’ll need to “decarb.” Decarboxylating is the process of heating marijuana so that it is optimal for use with most edibles.
This is because THCA is non-psychoactive, and decarboxylation has not taken place. However, when you smoke weed, the heat ignites the marijuana and decarboxylates it, activating the THC, resulting in the high effect.
When you learn how to make a weed cake (or any other edible), you must first understand that for THC to infuse in food, decarboxylation must occur. Otherwise, the cannabis in your food will have no effect.
Decarbed weed is used in many baking recipes. It can be used to make wedding cakes, cupcakes, or any other desserts, such as cookies or ice cream.
Decarboxylation makes weed very potent. Although you can eat marijuana, eating a decarbed ¼ ounce of marijuana is not recommended. A small amount does a lot.
In baking, weed is often added using cannabutter or cooking oil infused with THC oil. A cannabis cake often uses cannabutter. You can use decarbed weed for this recipe, but you can also use cannabutter.
If you don’t already have some cannabutter, you can make it. If you are just starting to think about how to make a weed cake, now is a great time to start researching cannabutter recipes as well. Cannabutter is a useful kitchen staple for a variety of edibles.
Related: How To Make Cannabutter At Home
To decarboxylate your weed for baking, follow this process:
- Preheat your oven to 245°F (120°C).
- Hand grind your marijuana, leaving it course.
- Put parchment or baking paper on a baking tray.
- Pour the ground weed and spread it evenly on the tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and let it bake for 45 minutes while stirring it every 15 minutes.
Take care not to cook your buds at high temperatures - it can destroy the cannabinoids and terpenes.
How to Make a Weed Cake
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper or non-stick spray
- Casserole dish or baking tray
- Hand or electric mixer
- 1¾ cups of flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup of granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of cannabutter or 8 grams of cannabis buds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of dried fruits
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ can of chocolate frosting
1. Space cake is straightforward to make. Preheat your oven to 325°F. That way, by the time you are through mixing your ingredients, you can start baking.
Melt your cannabutter in the oven, but if you have decarbed weed, melt the regular butter for 10-20 seconds in the microwave.
If you are making the chocolate cake, put the chocolate chips in the casserole dish to soften them. Keep the temperatures low to avoid being burned.
2. As the chocolate melts, mix your ingredients in a bowl. First, take the eggs and sugar and mix until mixture is fluffy, then add milk and mix.
Add a ½ teaspoon of salt and finally add the flour in bits for easy mixing. Stir the mixture until your dough becomes smooth. If you are in a hurry, you can use an electric mixer.
3. Add the melted butter and decarbed weed and dried fruits. Alternatively, you can add cannabutter. Next, add the melted chocolate and mix the ingredients either with a spatula or electric mixer.
4. A second option is to melt regular butter in a pan and mix it with the ground weed, then add it to your batter.
5. With the cake batter now ready, spray the baking tin or put parchment paper on it and pour the mixture into the pan. Spread it evenly and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
6. When the time is up, insert a knife to ensure the cake is fully baked on the inside. If it comes out clean, you can be sure your cake is ready, if not then add a few more minutes to the baking time. Keep watch to make sure you do not burn the top part of the cake, which is a common mistake many people make, especially when they are beginners.
7. Let your cake cool for about 20 minutes on a wire rack in the baking tin. Then, allow it to cool for another 20 minutes. If it is adequately cooled, you can decorate it either with frosting or fondant.
8. If you want your cake layered with cream, cut it into two layers, add cream in the middle and join the two parts before layering the outer part with frosting. If you want to decorate your cake either for a birthday or just for fun, prepare your cream or fondant to cover the cake.
9. If you are not a fan of making things from scratch, you can buy a box of cake mix and use cannabutter instead of the normal butter. Alternatively, you can add your decarbed marijuana to the cake mix.
- 6 spoons of pistachios pudding powder
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of half and half cream
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- Whip up the butter with a spatula or electric mixer until it is fluffy.
- Add the pudding powder and mix it until it is well blended.
- Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mix them, then let it sit for about one hour before using it to frost your weed cake.
- For the fondant, mold it gently until it is about ½ inch thick and place it on your cake, molding it to the shape of your cake. If you want people to know it is a weed cake, you can create little marijuana leaves on the fondant with a knife.
When making weed cake, you can try different strains to vary the taste and aroma of your cake. Some great strains include Lemon Haze, Royal Cookies, Purple Queen, and Solomatic CBD.
And the best part is that it is easy to grow these plants yourself!
Grow your Own 🌱
Our complete grow kits include everything you need to go from seed to your very own supply of high grade medical cannabis.
Here’s a little bit about them:
This marijuana strain gives off a lemon scent when it is smoked. It also enhances the taste of any baked goods such as cookies or cakes with a citrus tinge.
Lemon Haze is a sativa strain which, when consumed, makes the mind go into overdrive as it opens up an individual's creativity and improves mood and focus.
When working for an extended period on a project that requires creativity, it would be a good idea to consume Lemon Haze space cakes. The THC levels in the Lemon Haze strain range between 15 and 20%, so the high can be either moderate or intense.
Effects are noticeable up to one hour after consuming the cake, whereby an individual begins experiencing the uplifting, euphoric, and energetic high induced by Lemon Haze.
This strain is easy to grow with high yields. The plant is 200cm tall and reaches the flowering stage in 7-8 weeks. Lemon Haze flowers are stunning and have a shiny layer of resin and bright orange calyxes.
This strain gets its name from the stunning shade of purple visible on the flowers and sugar leaves. Purple Queen is an indica-dominant strain that originates from the Hindu Kush mountains.
The plant has both sativa and indica genetics. Purple Queen has a strong scent and taste of citrus, which when used in baking, gives the cake a fruity and zesty taste.
The THC level in this plant is at 22%, giving an out of this world experience when consumed in edibles. You start by feeling relaxed and happy, and it mellows out into a full-body high.
This strain of the marijuana plant can be planted either indoors or outdoors. It can grow in a mild or warm climate. When grown indoors, Purple Queen grows to a height of 80-120cm and yields between 450-500 grams of weed.
The outdoor plant can reach 210cm, with yields amounting to 700 grams. The flowering time of the indoor plant is 7-8 weeks, while the outdoor Purple Queen is harvested in October.
This strain adds some serious kick to your cakes.
Royal Cookies produces 23% THC, which is enough to satisfy any cannabis user. It is an indica-dominant species, with 80% indica and 20% sativa genetics. This strain gives off a sweet nectary scent, which adds a sugary taste to your cake. After consuming a Royal Cookies cake, you are bound to experience a deep stoney high, which is euphoric and relaxing. The high will last for 4-6 hours.
This strain can be grown either indoors or outdoors. Grown indoors, the plant reaches a height of 80-110cm, with yields amounting to 525 grams, and its flowers are harvested in 8-9 weeks. The outdoor plant reaches 180cm with 500 grams of yield, and its flowers are harvested mid-October.
Many people love weed cake not only for the high but also for its therapeutic effects. Solomatic CBD is a strain rich in CBD and close to zero compounds of THC.
It has 21% CBD and 1% THC, thus allowing users to benefit from the non-psychoactive effects of CBD without getting high. Solomatic CBD cake gives a clear and relaxing experience.
Its flowers contain terpenes responsible for creating sweet, fruity, ginger, and pine flavors. This gives the weed cake a sweet, fruity, piney taste.
The strain is an autoflower, so it is very easy to grow. When it is time for this plant to flower, it does not require changes in the light cycle. It has high yields and takes 9 weeks to reach harvesting stage.
Regardless of the strain you choose, growing your own marijuana is a great way to have plenty of weed on hand for making homemade weed cakes. a Pot for Pot makes home growing easy with complete grow kits designed to simplify the marijuana growing process.
Things to Know Before Eating Weed Cake
If you are a marijuana fan, then you already know smoking weed is not the same as eating it in edibles. When smoked, the effects of weed are noticed immediately, but the high lasts for a short period.
However, when you consume cannabis in edibles such as cake or weed brownies, it can take about 30 minutes or 2 hours for the effects to be felt, and they last longer than when it is smoked.
Eat one serving of the cake and wait for it to take effect. Do not overeat. If you have to drive or go to work later, be mindful of the time and the amount of weed cake you consume. The THC compounds in edibles can last longer than other forms.
A weed cake is a tasty and fun way to enjoy marijuana, but you should never feed someone a weed cake without their knowledge.
It’s a general rule to always inform people of the contents before offering weed edibles so that they can prepare. And it always feels a little better when you inform them that you made the treats from scratch from the weed you grew yourself! Growing weed is just as easy as cooking with it with an all-inclusive grow kit from a Pot for Pot.
Frequently Asked Questions about Weed Cake
What temperature should you cook weed cake at?
THC is completely broken down at 292°F (144°C) but this is the temperature of the bud/product. Not the temperature that you set your oven or keep your slow cooker at. Before cooking, decarb in an oven set to 245°F (120°C) for 40 minutes and mix your product every 10 minutes to ensure even temperature distribution. For using infused weed products in baking recipes, you can for the most part follow the instructions according to the recipe. Like baking a cake at 325-350°F. This is because the temperature of the cake batter isn't going to reach these temps! Avoid high temperatures when frying, grilling, stovetop cooking, or anything over direct heat where the cannabis product comes in direct contact with the heat source.
How long does a weed cake buzz last?
It depends. Usually an hour and a half, but it is not unusual for it to last twice that long
How can I make weed cake kick in faster?
Eating weed cake on an empty stomach will usually make you feel the effects faster